Friday, October 31, 2008

Moving to Steamboat

We asked our two new reservations staff, Jeff and Melissa, who both moved here in the last year, to reflect on their first few months here and share a little of their experiences of life in Steamboat...

Both Jeff and Melissa agreed on a common theme - Steamboat is a great place to live because it has such a great climate.

"Moving to a ski town like Steamboat makes you appreciate the simple pleasures of wonderful weather and great outdoor opportunities to do just about anything you would like to experience. With an average of 250 sunny days per year it makes Steamboat that much more enjoyable than the climate we left behind in the Mid-West."

Jeff moved from Flagstaff, AZ where it only snows around 150 inches a year, to Steamboat where this past year was a record snowfall of 489 inches. It was quite an adjustment. Of course in a ski town there can never be "too much snow", but having to scrape off 2 - 6 inches of snow daily from the car took some getting used to.

"I quickly learned to appreciate having a remote car starter and the finer points of what defines a good snow scraper!"

Jeff is no stranger to change and acted on instinct to pursue a dream of living in the mountains.

"I was raised just outside Tahoe until I turned 12 when we moved to St. Louis for my High School years. Moving to Steamboat from Flagstaff, where I had just graduated college, was blind luck. With less than $2,000 to my name, a van full of belongings and a quest for powder I hoped for the best winter of my life. Looking back over the last nine months, Steamboat has given me the great experience that I was looking for. If you ever have a chance to do the same, take advantage of it and experience life in the mountains."

Melissa grew up in Madison, Wisconsin where "activities" included eating out, going downtown, shopping at the many malls Madison had to offer; it was fun, but she needed a change.

"Steamboat has offered me many things in the few months I've been here. It has already exceeded all expectations. Yes, Steamboat is a small town, but what separates it from other small towns is that it's such an active town. There's so much to do here that I was never really interested in or able to do back home: hiking, snowshoeing, biking, etc. Something about this town has made me explore my options, test out new horizons."

"I've visited Steamboat many times on vacations and loved it, but I wasn't sure if I could handle living here. Now I wonder what I was worried about. It already feels like home and the new norms of my life in the mountains are healthier and helping me to appreciate everything about living in Ski Town USA."

Overall, they are both very excited for the upcoming winter.

"Moving Mountains incorporates hard work with fun in the work place and we are looking forwards to meeting the many guests whose vacations we have been planning. Steamboat is a very special place and we hope when you do visit that you try and experience as much as you can while you are here."

Digg this

No comments: